
Awoke at 5am and packed things before walking to Lille Europe where Riquier's parents were already waiting to catch the train to Lyon. Train to Lyon was already delayed and ended up departing 20 mins late. Slept most of the journey (remember I'd only had 3 hours sleep) and arrived in Lyon where Anne's sister was waiting to pick them up.
Had nice breakfast in their garden (where I am writing this diary from) and briefly discussed politics (the right-wing Sarkozy had just been elected as president) before we called a timeout. Got an offer to stay in Lyon by Riquier's cousin, Jeremie, which I gladly took up.
Riquier, his parents and his aunt left at around 12 and I was left with Jeremie and Ambroise. Jeremie gave me a great introduction to Lyon's history and geography and pointed out the places of interest on a map.
Had a shower, the something to eat and checked out train times on the internet and got a lift in to town from Jeremie who showed me some great lookouts in order to get a view of the city, drove on past the Roman amphitheatre and then showed me the Basilika (Fourviere). Jeremie left me at the Basilika to go a write his report. I had a close look at the Roman remains, then wandered down the hill into town. Wandered around the streets near rue St-Paul and back along the river Soâne towards the main square.
Caught the metro to Perrache station and spent an hour trying to book the train tickets that I wanted. The man at the ticket office was very helpful, but I did not get the tickets that I wanted, but we managed to book a ticket from Lyon-Munich and Munich-Copenhagen. Got the funicular back up the hill and had a bite to eat before getting bus 30 back to the house. Spent the evening in front of the bbq and didn't have the energy to go back into town to see the July 14th fireworks.
No comments:
Post a Comment