
met Germain from Angers with whom I'd shared a room that night. On the way to Franz Josef, Kev (Peterboro') had his stitches taken out by a nurse from Peterboro'. All good fun. We then stopped at the pancake rocks which were made more spectacular by the big waves that came crashing at the rock's base. At the right time you could see the water shooting up through blowholes made in the rock.
I had a try panning for gold at a place called Ross. Joost and I were the only ones doing it and for $6.50 it was a bit pricey but at least now I can say that I've panned for gold!
I'd decided that I was to do a skydive today and was anxious to check-in first in order not to miss the pick-up.
My tandem diver was called Rob from Australia who was short, middle aged and lighter than me. (I weighed in at 90 kg).
I was first to go up of our group of 5 which was great because I got the plane to myself. I got to wriggle around and take photos whilst inside the plane. The short ground based introduction was very brief and gave me no time to get nervous.
The views as we climbed up to our jumping altitude of 12 000 feet were absolutely spectacular. I took a few photos with the disposable camera that I'd bought in Hokitika. When Rob said to crawl forward to the edge the rushing of the wind made the whole thing seem very real.
"Thumbs up for the camera, arms crossed, 3 - 2 - 1" and we were off. Remeber to arch your back look back and arms floppy. The rushing of the wind and the view of the ground as well as the sea, the valley and the mountains in the distance seemed a very long way away.
Travelling at 125 mph seemed very strand and I had to breathe through my nose in order not to become to dry in the mouth. After what seemed like an eternity I heard the noise of the parachute unfolding and a pulling sensation as the parachute slowed us down to 8 mph. After a slight readjustment of the leg straps, I got my camera out and started snapping. Rob also made the parachute spiral a few times. The earth seemed a lot closer now and we could see the landing stop.
I got to hold the parachute's controls but only for a few seconds. The landing was smooth and I think we almost stood up to land. After a quick handshake from Rob we buzzed back to the landing strip where Leanne and Joost were just taking off. I got to drive the car to the landing zone and saw Leanne and Joost as they landed.
The whole thing was a really enjoyable experience and it was well worth it.
Got back to Franz at about 5pm went on the internet, shopped for food, met a Swede at the checkout and tried to sleep before going out in the evening. The pub had a free pool table and good beer + pizza deals.
No comments:
Post a Comment