Sunday, February 12, 2006

Feb 3rd: Lake Tekapo to Christchurch

On leaving the front door of the YHA in Lake Tekapo I was greeted by the very same English guy, Alex, whom I'd befriended whilst walking the Ben Lomond Trail in Queenstown. We chatted before getting on the bus which was slightly late.

The road to Christchurch went through some hilly areas before coming to the plains on the way to Christchurch. Most fields had long hedges on evergreens lining their edges in order to help to protect the fields from the wind.

At one stop we pulled up next to a field of sheep who came rushing over to greet us and let us give them a bit of a scratch.

Stopped of at the Maoraki boulders where several dozen circular boulders sat on the beach, formed over millions of years and now a must-see tourist attraction.

On arrival in Christchurch said a brief goodbye to Ritchie before going to the Photo shop to get my film developped. After the Photo shop went to a nearby park and was greeted by Ritchie who'd parked up the bus. Ritchie's mum and his baby niece were there to greet him and they kindly offered to drive me to the Canterburg factory shop which was very kind. Once at the shop I bought two rugby shirts and a pair of shorts.

I walked back into town, and went to the very new and flashy Art Museum where I looked at some contempory Korean art. Whilst on the loo, a strange man shouted to me "How do you spell 'prisoners'?". He was drunk (I think) but it was still bizarre.

Picked up the film and CDs from the developpers which cost $50 for 37 pictures and 2 CDs. A bit too expensive, but worth it.

Had organised a meet up at 8pm at the Hostel in order to go to the Dux-de-Lux pub in town where we sat and chatted for a few hours. I enjoyed talking to a Swiss girl callde Diana who was friendly. Strangely Crystal left early and I only got to say a very brief goodbye.

No comments: